Family-Based Immigration Lawyer

Are you a U.S citizen or a lawful  permanent resident who wants to bring a family member to the United States? If yes, then our comprehensive suite of family-based immigration services can help.

Family-based immigration applications provide an opportunity to apply for or maintain immigration status for you or your family. At Somos Immigration Law, we have expertise in  family-based immigration cases and have a wealth of experience handling complex immigration matters so you can rest assured that you will receive competent representation.

The difference between a dream and an objective is hard work, intention, and careful planning. That’s where we enter the picture. Our commitment is to provide you with the services, information and support you need to turn your ambitions into achievements. For assistance, contact us now and allow us to assist you in reaching your goals.

Contact Us

Helping Families with The Immigration Process

If you are a U.S. citizen, you have the opportunity to petition for certain family members.   A petition from a U.S. citizen relative can oftentimes be the most direct way of bringing a loved one to the United States.  The process can be complex and time sensitive. Choose an attorney you can trust to navigate the process efficiently and reliably.

Our immigration law firm provides thoughtful, timely, and strategic advice as we accompany individuals through the process of applying for their family member’s lawful status in the U.S.

Family Member of a U.S. Citizen

As a U.S. citizen, you may petition to bring your relatives to the United States permanently. You are eligible to petition for your:

  • Spouse and children
  • Parents and siblings (if a U.S citizen is 21 years old and above)

Take note that a visa number is immediately available to your “immediate relatives” such as your spouse, unmarried children under 21 years old, and parents.

Family-Based Preference Categories

Under the family-based preferences, U.S. citizens can offer to sponsor their non-immediate relatives for a green card, as long as they qualify based on a close family relationship. However, there is an annual cap on how many people can immigrate to the U.S. each year through this category.

The preferences are:

First Preference (F1): Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. citizens (21 years old & older)

F2A: Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents 

F2B: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents (21 years old & older) 

Third Preference (F3): Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. citizens (21 years old & older)

Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens

Family Members of a Permanent Resident

U.S. immigration laws allow for lawful permanent residents to petition for their spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age to immigrate to the United States, provided that certain requirements are met. Like the preference category, it also has an annual quota. Thus, you’ll need to wait until a visa number is available. Speak to an experienced immigration attorney about the process and the visa bulletin to determine what is required for your loved one’s application and the timeline for their arrival.

Helping Families Move Forward

We know how eager you are to reunite with your family and we are here to help you. We provide comprehensive legal assistance and advice to assist families in achieving their immigration goals.  Contact us today for a consultation.

Contact Us